Thursday, January 13, 2011

The beginning of our trip, starting in Hopedale, Newfoundland.

Today was the first day of our “cross country road trip”. My parents had planned this a few weeks ago when we decided to visit some family up in Newfoundland. So, after the hugs and goodbyes we were finally off. It was the five of us in a pretty cramped minivan, my mom, dad, Brother Simon, his fiancée Melanie and I to be exact.

So, we spent a couple days in Hopedale visiting some tourist areas, we saw some really old looking buildings that were still in use that were called The Hopedale Mission National Historic Site/Agvituk Historical Society. There were also a few celebrations considering it was the holidays. Our family wanted to visit a national park that was called “Torngat Mountains National Park”, it was the closest one to us but considering that my mom had to be back at work in 3 weeks we decided it was too far a drive up north and we wanted to see more of the Canada. I read about it online though, I read that it has beautiful mountains and a river that you can go canoeing in. Where we were, was pretty nice too, there were several bays of water around us and a lot of hills. I also saw a lot of jagged rocks everywhere.

Before we left we visited a nice restaurant that sold fish and chips. I don’t think it was from around here though, seeing as nobodies allowed catching cod anymore. We also visited a gift shop called “D.J. gift shop” it sold some really unique things, such as handmade Inuit crafts and they had a lot of souvenirs. Simon got sick and wanted to go back to the hotel we were staying at. So, my parents left him there and my mom, dad, Melanie and I decided we weren’t going to leave until the next day, so Simon could feel better. To pass the time we went to a museum that had a lot of interesting artifacts. After Simon was feeling better we decided to continue with our trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment